1. Eat better (e.g., less fat, less white flour, less sugar, more vegetables)Okay, so how did I do? Well, #1 is an ongoing process, but I definitely eat better than I did a year ago, so I'll give myself a check for that one. #2 is also an ongoing process, but I weigh 12 pounds less today than a year ago, and 20 pounds less than my high point for the year. Importantly, I've lost 10 pounds of the 45 I want to lose by next October 1. That's almost on track, but I can do better!
2. Lose weight
3. More exercise (thanks to Coffee Jones and Dino Burger for the Wii Fit we received last month -- it's really increased the exercise for these chilly days)
4. Make four quilts
5. Be a better quilt guild member
6. Get organized with my legal work: more filing, more scheduling and use of the calendar, and more preparation for specific issues.
It goes without saying that I should blog more!
Exercise -- yes and no. Definitely can do better on that!
Quilting. Well, *sigh* this is continues to be my Achilles' heel. No, I was not a better guild member, and no, I didn't complete 4 quilts. I'm going to drop the guild member thing (I could whine about how far away the meetings are, but who am I kidding? I just don't want to), but I should still be able to make four quilts in a year. That resolution stays put until, damn it, I complete four quilts in a year!
Finally, I won't say my organizational skills improved over the year, but here's why I'm still going to give myself a check for #6: I used to be deficient in my brief writing, a vital skill for a litigator. Well, not this year! As a result of the tragic appeal (for which I wrote three complete briefs in six months) I improved several times over (even if I did lose the case). Ironically, I'm ending my legal career, but it's nice to know I actually tackled that demon to the ground.
Okay, how about for 2010?
Let's keep the first four in place:
- Eat better (e.g., less fat, less white flour, less sugar, more vegetables)
- Lose weight
- More exercise
- Make four quilts
And here are the new ones for 2010:
- Complete, revise & polish two complete romance novels (not as daunting as it sounds; both are well underway)
- Do all that I can do to get published. (See how I didn't resolve to get published? But I play a large part in that, and I resolve to do everything within my power to market myself as a writer and my novels as publishable.)
- Be more confident
So: scorecard for 2009? Three thumbs up, two thumbs down, and one thumb sideways. Which, frankly, is not too bad. The only resolutions I "broke" were the quilting ones, and while that's disappointing, it's not the end of the world.
P.S. Oh, and did you notice that unnumbered resolution, about blogging more? Well, here -- no, I did NOT blog more here at Narrow End. Nor on the quilt or knitting blogs. (Bad Magdalen) But at my new blog, Promantica? I kick ass.